Lost and Found
If you have lost your cat, or have found a cat, please ring the Adoption Centre on 01904 760356. We keep a register of both cats that are missing, and cats that have been found. Please contact us for more information.
Advice for those who have lost their cat:
- Cats are well known for their curiosity and ability to find unlikely sleeping places, so check the following places: all rooms in the house, cupboards, boxes, household appliances (e.g. washing machines), vehicles and gardens.
- Ask neighbours to check in gardens, sheds and outbuildings.
- Contact your local animal welfare groups - RSPCA, PDSA, Cats Protection, Blue Cross - and your local veterinary practices to register the cat's details. The more information you can provide the better i.e. colour, distinctive markings / features, sex, age, temperament, whether the cat is neutered / microchipped / wearing a collar (if so, what colour is the collar and is there a tag?) and where the cat was lost.
- Make posters and flyers - if you have access to a computer and printer, a small photograph would be a real advantage, preferably colour. Also highlight any distinguishing features that your cat may have in order to make them easily identifiable.
- Leaflet every house in your street and the streets immediately surrounding yours.Also distribute to local shops, garages, noticeboards and post offices.
- Contact local schools, newspapers and even radio.
- Contact "Lost & Found" in Evening Press - free on Mondays. Check the lost & found sections in local newspapers.
- Call the council road cleaning department (York City Council Commercial Services, "Street Scene"), in case your cat has been run-over (they keep a record and now can scan for microchips). Ring General Enquiries York on 01904 625751, or 01904 553107.
You might also want to check these websites which specialise in lost & found pets:
Petsearch - www.ukpetsearch.freeuk.com
Animal Rescuers - www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/lostfound.html
A missing Pet - www.amissingpet.co.uk
Regional Lost & Found registers are on this page - www.catchat.org/linksinfo.html
So You Have Lost Your Cat - www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk
Lost & Found Cats - www.mymoggy.com
Other useful contacts:
RSPCA National Helpline - 0870 5555 999
RSPCA York - 01904 654949
RSPCA Goole - 01405 839731 / 839696
Cats Protection National Helpline - 08702 099 099
Missing Pets Bureau - 0870 1600 999
Pet Search UK - 0121 743 4133
Animal Search UK - 07884 316 943